Supreme Court of Canada Rules Impact Assessment Act Unconstitutional
The Supreme Court of Canada released its judgment in consideration of the constitutionality of the federal environmental assessment scheme under the Impact Assessment Act (IAA), enacted by Parliament in 2019. It is expected that this ruling will fundamentally alter the scope of federal assessment and decision-making over the vast majority of major projects that are located wholly within a province, such as critical minerals mines, upstream oil production (including oil sands), and pipelines.
Furthermore, the Canada Energy Regulator details approvals of pipeline projects including the Trans Mountain Expansion Project route deviation and the NorthRiver Midstream Northeast British Columbia Connector Project.
In addition to these developments, this update includes details surrounding the newly proposed Draft Directive 0XX: Rock-Hosted Mineral Resource Development by the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER), as well as updates to the AER mandatory closure spend quotas for 2024.
Download the full document for further information on climate action initiatives and policy updates from across Canada.
About: This bulletin highlights the regulatory changes and updates within the energy and natural resource sectors in North America that the Integrated Sustainability team has been tracking through October 2023.
- Supreme Court of Canada’s Ruling on the Impact Assessment Act, Formerly Bill C-69
- CER Provides Reasoning for Approval of Trans Mountain Deviation & Hearing Scheduled for Project Tolls
- CER Recommends Approval for the NEBC Connector Project
- Government of Canada Proposes Amendment to Regulations to Control International E-Waste Disposal
- Draft Directive 0XX: Rock-Hosted Mineral Resource Development Released
- Industry Closure Spending Almost $700 million in 2022 & AER Releases Mandatory Closure Spend Quotas for 2024
- AER Facility Operational Life Cycle Status Validation
- New Responsibilities for Ministry of Water, Land & Resource Stewardship
- Provincial Environmental Assessment Certificate for Cariboo Gold
- Update to CSA Standard Z662 & New Pipeline Notification Process
- Release of 2023 Climate Resilience Report
- Groundwater Well Sampling Time
Become a subscriber:
Simply email [email protected] to sign up to the monthly email direct to your inbox. (You will not be added to additional newsletters without your permission.)
The Regulatory Bulletin is sent at 12:30 PM, the first Thursday after month-end. This gives us a few days to assess all the regulatory updates from the previous month and highlight those with the largest impact – be that environmental, social, or economic.
Please forward any suggestions to: [email protected]